Storage made simple for hybrid multicloud
Albert Einstein said, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
In line with that inspiration, IBM is launching a new family of flash storage solutions designed to meet the full range of enterprise storage needs from entry to mid-range to high-end systems that extend to your hybrid multicloud storage deployments. All are based on a common storage software platform that works seamlessly across all deployment types (bare metal, virtualized, container, and hybrid multicloud) and support your existing storage estate, whether the storage is from IBM or other vendors.
Different organizations have different requirements for storage. Even different applications within a single organization may have different needs such as entry point, performance, scalability, data services, functionality and availability. Storage vendors have traditionally responded with unique storage platforms to meet these varying requirements. But with that uniqueness comes complexity:
- Different management and troubleshooting
- Different APIs and automation
- Different paths to cloud, and more
There’s been plenty of innovation, but that can be accompanied with great complexity and higher cost.
In addition, many users deploy storage systems from multiple vendors, which just adds even more complexity. Is it any wonder that storage cost, management and optimization of data placement, and data migration are among the top five concerns of storage users?
These concerns can delay deployment of new storage technologies, limit flexibility, impact your applications and workloads, and drive up costs.
IBM is taking a completely different approach by radically simplifying the IBM FlashSystem family. A single platform designed to simplify your storage infrastructure, reduce complexity, and cut costs, while continuing to deliver extensive innovation for your enterprise class storage solutions and your hybrid multicloud environments:
- A single approach to extraordinary data availability: “six nines” availability across all price points, 2- and 3-site replication, cross-site high availability configurations, and the option for guaranteed 100% data availability. Data-at-rest encryption coupled with tape and cloud “air gap” copies, malware detection, and application-aware snapshots help provide a dependable cyber resiliency solution.
- A single, award-winning software foundation: IBM Spectrum Virtualize provides enterprise-class data services from entry enterprise to high-end enterprise deployments on premises and with consistent capability for hybrid multicloud. IBM Spectrum Virtualize provides the foundation for simplifying storage by delivering these same services for existing storage together with the ability for nondisruptive data movement. It also supports transformation by enabling cloud and container deployments with all supported storage.
- Consistent APIs for automation delivered on premises and in the cloud and supporting all deployment approaches: bare metal, virtualized, containerized, and for hybrid multicloud.
- Cloud-based, AI-infused management, storage analytics, and integrated proactive support: IBM Storage Insights delivers heterogeneous storage management made simple. IBM and select non-IBM storage together with cloud storage managed by IBM Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud can all be managed through a single pane of glass. AI-based analytics offers insights into best practice recommendations. For IBM storage, IBM Storage Insights provides streamlined access to support to help resolve issues even more quickly.
“The simplification of the IBM Storage portfolio means a single FlashSystem family built on a common software platform providing the same APIs and the same management across on premises and in the cloud,” said Eric Burgener, Research Vice President for Infrastructure Systems at IDC. “We believe this radical shift to their portfolio will significantly increase both the value and innovation delivered to IBM Storage customers.”
The new IBM FlashSystem family accomplishes all that, while supporting deployments spanning bare metal, virtualized, containerized, and hybrid cloud environments. See the details of our new FlashSystem family announcement and read part two here.
 “ESG Master Survey Results: 2019 Data Storage Trends,” November 2019. https://www.esg-global.com/research/esg-master-survey-results-2019-data-...
 IBM offers zero interruption to data availability protection for HyperSwap configurations during the guarantee period. The HyperSwap implementation must be performed by IBM Lab Services, and the guarantee is valid only for eligible, newly purchased IBM storage systems. Interruption to data availability does not include any interruptions due to a temporary I/O hold during a planned or unplanned HyperSwap. In the event a customer doesn’t achieve zero interruption to data availability and subject to the terms of the associated guarantee agreement, IBM provides up to 40 hours of IBM Systems Lab Services consultation and support at no charge. The guarantee period ends upon the sooner of the following two occurrences: (i) customer submits a claim and obtains the above-mentioned 40 hours of consultation and support; or (ii) the expiration of the initial three (3) year hardware warranty on the eligible machine. Customer will execute a contract for the IBM Systems Lab Services implementation of IBM HyperSwap; terms and conditions (including pricing) set forth therein.